The Gospel of John
It is the universal testimony of the early church that the author of the
Gospel of John is John the Apostle, "the disciple whom Jesus loved." Not
until the 19th century, when frantic theology students needed a new topic for
their ThD. theses did anyone challenge the authorship. Many strange
theories were spun on this.
The Gospel itself is clearly different from the other three Gospels, Matthew,
Mark and Luke. John wrote this work some time after the writing of Matthew,
Mark and Luke, as is evident from the things he did not repeat. He assumes
you've read the other ones. So his stories are those of one who was
closest to Jesus. He was Jesus' best friend, his long time companion - and
the only Apostle to die a natural death. It reads not so much like history
as it does reminiscences.
Because of its powerful presentation of Jesus, the Christ, it is the first
book translated into any newly discovered language. This is a mark also of
its usefulness. More than that, it is the best loved of the Gospels, for
it is the Gospel of Love Himself.
Downloads: John (PDF)
Click this button if you desire a paperback copy (identical in content to the PDF). Purchase price is our cost.
The Word Made Flesh -
The mystic opening of the Gospel - the word was God, was
with God, and became flesh.
||Building A Desert Road
- The ministry and character of John the Baptist.
||Come And See
- Jesus calls some of his first disciples, Peter,
Andrew and others.
||Water and Wine
- The miracle of the water to wine at the wedding in Cana.
A Deed Full of High Authority
- The first cleansing of the Temple.
||The Necessary, Easy
- A somewhat unusual look at Nicodemus' visit to Jesus by
||My Joy Is Fulfilled
- John the Baptist's disciples question him about Jesus.
||The Woman At The Well
- Jesus speaks to the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well;
many Samaritans put their faith in Him
|John 4:43 - 5:15
- Jesus raises a dead son in Capernaum; then heals a
crippled man at the pool of Bethesda.
||Who Am I -
Jesus declares himself to be God before those who persecuted
||Old Creation New Creation
- An analysis of the miracles of feeding the five
thousand and walking on water.
||Bread of Life
- Our attitude toward miracles and the nature of
Christ; the words of life.
||Christ and the Crowd
- The various reactions to Christ from the ordinary people.
||Christ and the Sinner
- The woman taken in adultery - a clever trap.
||Light of the World
- The children of light, the children of Satan, and
lessons for the disciples.
||Blind Man From Missouri
- The story of a blind man healed - who persistently
sticks to the facts, despite the Pharisees' theory.
||The Good Shepherd
- Christ's discourse on being the Good Shepherd.
||The Unexpected Jesus
- The surprising actions of Jesus surrounding raising
Lazarus from the dead.
||Lazarus Come Forth
- Jesus raises Lazarus; the attitudes of those around.
Mary of Bethany pours perfume on Jesus feet - and Judas
- The Triumphal Entry - and what it teaches us about the
nature of Christ.
||Light In Troubled Times
- Christ contemplates his Crucifixion - and tells the
world they will have his light only a short while longer.
||Washing The Feet
- Jesus washes the disciples' feet - and explains to them
Judas goes out to betray Jesus - and it was night. Peter's
The Way, The Truth, The Life
- Jesus goes to prepare a place for us; let not your hearts
||Introduction to the Trinity
- Christ explains the relationships between Father, Son and
||Church and World
- The vine and the branches; obey my commandments;
persecution to come.
- Jesus instructs his disciples concerning the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus tells his disciples of the pain they will have
because of the Crucifixion - and the joy at the
- Christ's high priestly prayer.
Peter denies the Lord three times - and an explanation of
|John 18:28 - 19:16
|| Render Unto
Caesar - The relationship of church and state
exemplified in the examination of Christ by Pontius Pilate.
- John's account of the Crucifixion.
||Words of Christ
- The words of Christ to various disciples after his
||Path of Restoration
- Jesus appears to the disciples by the Sea of
Tiberias, where he restores Peter to leadership.
These lessons were originally delivered in 2002 - 2003.